Ned Sacktor, MD
For the past 16 years my research studies have focused on the epidemiology, clinical characterization, and treatment of HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders (HAND). With respect to epidemiology, as a co-investigator in the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study (MACS), we described changes in the incidence of HIV-associated neurological disease after the introduction of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART), and have examined the effect of age on longitudinal neuropsychological test performance. In collaboration with Dr. Victor Valcour and Dr. Cecilia Shikuma at the University of Hawaii, we established a cohort specifically designed to examine the effect of aging on HIV-associated cognitive impairment. In the NorthEast AIDS Dementia (NEAD) cohort we validated the International HIV Dementia scale which is now used throughout the world to quickly identify individuals at high risk for HIV dementia. In collaboration with Makerere University, we performed a comprehensive study of the clinical characterization of HIV dementia in Uganda. My research has also evaluated the utility of surrogate markers for HIV Dementia including neuroimaging markers and markers of oxidative stress. With respect to therapy, I have been principal investigator of both small pilot studies (selegiline) and larger studies [AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) 5235 study (minocycline study)], to examine the efficacy of potential adjunctive therapies for the treatment of HIV dementia. We are currently examining the safety, tolerability and efficacy of both fluconazole and paroxetine for the treatment of HAND.
- Investigator, Neurology Collaborative Science Group (Dec 2017- Nov 2019)
- Protocol Chair, ACTG 5235
- Sacktor, N., McDermott, M.P., Marder, K., Schifitto, G., Selnes, O.A., McArthur, J.C., Stern, Y., Albert, S., Palumbo,D.,Kieburtz, K., Marcaida, J., Cohen, B., Epstein, L. HIV associated cognitive impairment before and after the advent of combination therapy. J NeuroVirology 2002;8:136-142.
- Sacktor, N., Haughey, N., Cutler, R., Tamara, A., Turchan, J., Pardo, C., Vargas, D., Nath, A. Novel markers of oxidative stress in actively progressive HIV dementia. J Neuroimmunol 2004;157:176-184.
- Sacktor, N., Wong, M., Nakasujja, N., Skolasky, R., Selnes, O., Musisi, S., Robertson, K., McArthur, J., Ronald, A., Katabira, E. The International HIV Dementia Scale: a new rapid screening test for HIV dementia. AIDS 2005 19;1367-1374.
- Sacktor, N., Skolasky, R., Selnes, O., Watters, M., Poff, P., Shiramizu, B., Shikuma, C., Valcour, V. Neuropsychological test profile differences between young and old HIV+ individuals. J Neurovirology 2007;13:203-209.
- Sacktor, N, Nakasujja, N., Robertson, K., Clifford, D. HIV-associated cognitive impairment in Sub-Saharan Africa: the potential impact of clade diversity. Nature Clinical Practice Neurology 2007 Aug;3(8) 436-443.
- Sacktor, N, Nakasujja, N., Skolasky, R., Robertson, K., Musisi, S., Ronald, A., Katabira, E., Clifford, D. B. Benefits and risks of stavudine therapy for HIV associated neurological complications in Uganda. Neurology 2009;72:165-170. PMCID:PMC 2677497
- Sacktor, N., Nakasujja, N., Skolasky, R., Rezapour, M., Robertson, K., Musisi, S., Katabira, E., Ronald, A., Clifford, D., Laeyendecker, O., Quinn, T. HIV subtype D is associated with dementia compared to subtype A in immunosuppressed individuals at risk for cognitive impairment in Kampala, Uganda. Clin Inf Dis 2009;49:780-786. PMCID:PMC2941149
- Sacktor, N., Skolasky, R.L., Cox, C., Selnes, O., Becker, J.T., Cohen, B., Martin, E., Miller, E., for the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study (MACS). Longitudinal psychomotor speed performance in HIV+ individuals: impact of age and serostatus. J NeuroVirology 2010; 335-341. PMCID:PMC3068912
- Sacktor, N., Miyahara, S., Deng, L., Evans, S., Schifitto, G., Cohen, B.A., Paul, R., Robertson, K., Jarocki, B., Scarsi, K., Coombs, R.W., Zink, M.C., Nath, A., Smith, E., Ellis, R.J., Singer, E., Weihe, J., McCarthy, S., Hosey, L., Clifford, D.B., and the ACTG 5235 team.
Minocycline treatment for HIV-associated cognitive impairment: results from a randomized trial. Neurology 2011;77:1135-1142. PMCID:PMC3174065
- Sacktor, N., Nakasujja, N., Okonkwo, O., Skolasky, R., Robertson, K., Musisi, S., Katabira,
E. Longitudinal neuropsychological test performance among HIV seropositive indoviduals in Uganda. J NeuroVirology 2013 (1) 48-56. PMCID: PMC3568232